Observe five safety principles for bicycle users!
1. You must ride a bicycle on the roadway in principle. You must not ride on sidewalks unless otherwise stipulated. Those who are less than 13 years old or 70 years old or over are allowed to ride on sidewalks.
2. You must ride a bicycle on the left of the roadway.
3. You must give priority to pedestrians on the sidewalk and you must go slowly on the roadway side of the sidewalk.
4. You must observe the safety rules.
5. Children must wear a helmet.
The following behaviors are very dangerous. They are violations of the Road Traffic Law. ※ In parentheses are penalties.
・Riding a bicycle on the right side of the road （imprisonment of up to three months or a maximum fine of \50,000）
・Riding a bicycle while talking on the cell-phone or smartphone, riding it having earphones on, riding it with an open umbrella, etc. (a maximum fine of \50,000)
・Riding without lights at night （a maximum fine of \50,000）
・Riding in tandem （a maximum fine of \50,000 ※ There may be a maximum fine of \20,000 or lighter fine.）
・Riding side by side (a maximum fine of \20,000）
・Riding under the influence of alcohol (imprisonment of up to five years or a maximum fine of \1,000,000）
Riding a bicycle in downtown arcade areas is prohibited.
Kamitori, Shimotori and Shinshigai Arcade are pedestrian-only streets. Riding and walking on a bicycle there is prohibited by the Road Traffic Law. Dangerous cases, such as collision with pedestrians, etc. might occur, so don’t ride a bicycle in arcade areas.
Accidents involving bicycles have been frequently occurring. In Kumamoto Prefecture, too, there are cases in which a large amount of damage compensation has been claimed against damage caused by riding a bicycle. Nobody knows when you will be a victimizer or a victim. Please take out a cycle-insurance in case of bike accidents. For details, please inquire at a casualty insurance company or a bicycle shop.
Jump to Japanese page → http://www.kumamoto-if.or.jp/topics/topics_detail.asp?PageID=5&ID=9186&pg=1&sort=0&LC=j