Kumamoto International Foundation
May 6, 2016
Report No. 052 (Procedures)
Leasing Privately Rented Housing
(Post –Disaster Public Funded Rental Accommodation)
System for Leasing Privately-Rented Housing
Kumamoto City will lease privately rented housing as emergency post-disaster public funded rental accommodation for citizens whose residences have been completely destroyed (includes large scale partially destroyed housing) in the 2016 Kumamoto Earthquake and do not have the financial means to secure housing on their own.
*Citizens who wish to apply must find housing that will comply to the conditions of the System.
Requirements for Residency (individuals must meet all of the following conditions)
(1) Individuals whose residing address was Kumamoto City at the time of the disaster (hereinafter ‘Kumamoto Disaster’) resulted by the 2016 Kumamoto Earthquake (April 14, 2016).
(2) Individuals who do not have housing due to their residence having been totally destroyed (includes large scale partially destroyed housing) by the Kumamoto Disaster.
(3) Individuals who do not have the financial means to secure housing on their own.
(4) Individuals who are not receiving support from the Temporary Housing Repair System under the Disaster Relief Act.
Terms for Housing that can be Leased (housing must meet all of the following conditions)
(1) Housing that has been given approval by the landlord.
(2) Housing that a company has approved to be used as lease.
(3) Rent must be less than JPY60,000 per month (but not limited to this amount in special cases). However, rent may be less than JPY90,000 per month if family consists of 5 or more members (excluding children ages 0~3).
Payment of Fees
(1) Payment by Kumamoto City
B. Key money (maximum: 1month rent)
C. Service charge (maximum: 0.54 of 1 month’s rent)
D. Deposit for repairs when resident leaves housing (maximum: 2 month’s rent)
E. Fire/liability insurance (maximum: JPY10,000 per year)
(2) Payment by Resident
A. Utilities, management fee, common fee, parking fee, community fee
B. Additional fees if the repair fee at the time resident leaves housing is over the initial repair deposit paid at the beginning of lease.
Term of Residence
Maximum of 2 years
Contract for Housing Lease
Prospective resident and landlord of privately rented housing will sign a separate
‘Contract’ issued by Kumamoto City.
・Certificate of Residence (whole family)
・Disaster Victim Certificate (copy acceptable)
Kumamoto City Hall has a temporary counter on the 14th floor.
Hours: 9:00~17:00 (9:00~16:00 starting May 16th)
For more information please contact:
Construction Policy Section
Construction Housing Department
Kumamoto City Construction Bureau