Kumamoto International Foundation
About KIFOutline of KIFInformation from KIFEvent Calenders and Report
 FAQ(Frequently Asked Questions) back home
Articles search is available. (Key Word search is available for contents of question)
Question I am a foreigner and have a Japanese spouse. The procedure for the divorce between my Japanese spouse and me is now going on. I have to renew my visa, but my husband will not cooperate with me. What can I do?
Answer    You can apply for the renewal of your visa by submitting to the Immigration Bureau the following documents (ordinary documents plus additional documents)
Ordinary documents
    Certified copy of the Japanese spouse's family register
    The Japanese spouse's resident register card
    Certificate of the registration of alien
And additional documents including
1.  Statement of the conditions of your marriage and of the reasons for
             your spouse's refusal to cooperate
2.  Petitions by your friends, colleagues, civic groups, etc.
3.  Fidelity guarantee by someone (perhaps your husband will refuse to
             give one)
4.  If a legal procedure is going on, a certificate to that effect
5.  Certificate of employment and tax certificate
        6.  Student registration certificate  

Question What is Dependent Visa?
Answer    It is allowed to do daily activities of spouses or children who are dependant on those who stay in Japan under the types of status of residence, Professor, Artist, Religious Activities, Journalist, Investor/Business Manager, Legal/Accounting Services, Medical Services, Researcher, Instructor, Engineer, Specialist in Humanities/International Services, Intracompany Transferee, Entertainer, Skilled Labor, Cultural Activities, and College Student.
   This is not permitted work. If you wish to engage in activities other than those granted by your status of residence, you must receive proper authorization. It is illegal to work without authorization.

Question Under what circumstances will I be allowed to change my temporary visitor visa to a longer visa?
Answer    Article 20-3 of the Immigration Control Act stipulates that temporary visitors are permitted to change to other status of residence only under extraordinary and inevitable circumstances.
   If you wish to obtain a longer visa, you will have to leave Japan after obtaining a certificate of eligibility for a status of residence and apply for the visa to a Japanese diplomatic establishment in a foreign country.
   However, there are exceptions to this. For instance, a temporary visitor to
Japan who came to marry a Japanese may sometimes be granted, after the
marriage registration, for the change of the status of residence to the spouse of a Japanese national.

Question Is it allowed to renew my temporary visitor visa?
Answer    It depends on your circumstances. In the case of necessity on humanity, like taking  medical treatment in the hospital. Also it is contained a woman who is in the 6 months period that is not allowed her to engage in another marriage, under marriage engagement, a lawsuit, a referee, mediation, etc.

Question I am in Japan as an international student but will graduate from my school soon. I want to establish a trading company with my friend after my graduation. What should I do for my visa?
Answer    If you want to start your business, you have to change your status to Investor        /Business Manager.
This visa requires
1. A place of business is located in Japan.
2. There needs at least two full-time workers.
   You must provide a business plan document, commerce and corporation register copy, a copy of a profit-and-loss statement, and proof of the your employee's total, the payroll, the lease contract of a place of business, etc. Also it is required to the stability and continuity of your business.

Question What kind of visa should I obtain if I wish to work as a language teacher? What are the formalities?
Answer    If you are a foreigner who wishes to work as a language teacher, your status of residence will be either “Education” or “Specialist in Humanities/International Services”. The latter is for teachers of language schools managed by firms or language courses offered as a part of employees education of firms. The former is for teachers carrying out language and other education in elementary, junior high, or high schools, schools for the blind, deaf-mutes, disabled children, advanced vocational schools, vocational schools, or other educational institute that have facilities and organization similar to those of miscellaneous schools as stipulated in Article 83 of the School Education Law for the purpose of requirement for the establishment standard of a school stipulated in Article 3 of the School Education Law. In either case, the school will be your employer should submit necessary documents to the Immigration Bureau and obtain a certificate of eligibility for a status of residence on your behalf and send it to you or you should apply to a Japanese diplomatic establishment after receiving necessary documents from the school.
<The point of examination>
1. The application is not a falsehood.
2. It is appropriately managed as a suitable educational institution.
3. The position which the foreigner is going to take exists actually.
4. Hiring conditions, etc are not inferior compared with Japanese teachers.
5. The contract is not against the law.

Question I'd like to know about the foreign trainee's working condition.
Answer The main purpose of receiving training is to acquire skill, ability and knowledge of the job. Even if this activity produces profit, it must not pay against his or her work. A trainee may get paid an allowance for training. However, it means to reimburse trainee's actual expense for living in Japan. In principle, training work is not covered with labor law and workers' compensation insurance. It would be a good idea to acquire travelers' insurance at their own disposal.
If the paid work is camouflage training, it is against the immigration act.

Question I’m married to a Japanese and have a ten-year-old child who was born by my pre-marriage and lives in my native country. I’d like to bring her and live together. What should I do? My visa status is a spouse of a Japanese national. Might she get into trouble if I divorce?
Answer    In your case, your child who is not from your current marriage might be accepted as a Long Term Resident.
Requirements are the following,
1. A child’s parent is a spouse of Japanese.
2. A child’s parent lives in Japan as a Spouse of Japanese.
3. A child is his (her) real child.
4. A child is under 20 years old.
5. A child’s marriage status is single.
6. A child is dependent on his (her) parent.
   If the requirements are met, your child can obtain a Long Term Resident Visa and enter Japan. And then, you should apply a Certificate of Eligibility for a Status of Residence at local Immigration Bureau.
If you divorce, you cannot renew a Qualification of a Spouse of a Japanese. As a result, your child cannot renew his (her) visa as well. However you and your child might be eligible to obtain a Long Term Resident Visa if your condition meets the standard of Immigration Bureau authorization.

Question I hold a working permit and work in Japan. I'd like to have my family who lives in my homecountry come to Japan and live with me. Could I have an application form for it at the International Centre?
Answer We don't provide an application form but you may download that from Ministry of Foreign Affairs official web site: http://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/
If you don't have PC at home, come to the second floor of the International Centre.

Question We are naturalized Japanese citizens, and we want to bring our grandparents who now live in China. What should we do?
Answer You must first acquire a proof, such as a medical certificate, that there is no one in China who can take care of your parents. Bring it to the Immigration Bureau and obtain a permission to "pursue a specified activity." Please note that the time it takes to get the permission from the Bureau can vary in length.  

      back home
Copyright(c)Kumamoto International Foundation